[metrics-team] Updating the charts to a more user friendly option

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Aug 4 19:45:23 UTC 2017

On 2017-08-04 20:48, Hugo Costa wrote:
> Hello,

Hello Hugo,

> I was looking into the data you display and I've noticed that your
> charts aren't that interactive. Of course, we're not speaking about a
> stock, so including any type of indicator would be overkill, but adding
> some interactivity could prove fruitful. I've used Highcharts
> (https://www.highcharts.com/demo if you want to try it), which uses
> Javascript, something you're probably trying to avoid. Anyway, the
> software is free for non-profits, so I guess it's worth taking a peek
> at. Maybe it could be added to those that choose to use JS on their browser?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here.

We had a discussion last year whether we can require JavaScript on Tor
Metrics.

The conclusion was that we should make sure that our data sets remain
fully available for people who don't like JavaScript, but we don't owe
people a non-JavaScript visualization of our data.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2016-November/000793.html

Now, switching to a different graphing engine is quite a step. And it's
bigger than what we can take on these days. It's on our list since last
year, but we'll first need to resolve a few other projects until we get
to this.

Don't let this stop you, though. If you want to volunteer some time to
create a website with interactive visualizations of Tor Metrics data,
please go ahead and do that. All the data you'll need is described and
linked on this page:

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html

I can't promise that we'll review and later switch to your code. But if
the website turns out to be useful for Tor Metrics visitors, we can
easily add a link and direct users your way for interactive visualizations.

> Great work so far, I've been following the whole Tor project for a while!

Cool! Thank you!