[metrics-team] onionoo search semantics: AND vs. OR?

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat Apr 22 23:01:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

(trying to find a stop-gap solution for
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21366)

from onionoo.tpo:
> search
>
> Return only (1) relays with the parameter value matching (part of a)
> nickname, (possibly $-prefixed) [...]
> If multiple search terms are given, separated by spaces, the
> **intersection** of all relays and bridges matching all search terms
> will be returned.

Karsten wrote
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/21366#comment:4)
> You could approximate the second example by using
> search=contact:Neel%20contact:Chauhan, but that will also return all
> relays that have those **two** strings somewhere in the contact line,
> rather than just Neel Chauhan.

So I would assume that
https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/contact:Neel%20contact:Chauhan
(backend:
https://onionoo.torproject.org/summary?search=contact:Neel%20contact:Chauhan)

should only return relays where the contact field contains "Neel"
**and** "Chauhan" but it also returns relays that have only "Neel" (and
no "Chauhan"), so I would deduce that search terms are OR connected.

example contact result:
"<neel AT rdkr DOT uk> 0xBBC1514B34CFB0F10231280F2FC36F0EF7887127"

If search terms are OR connected (not the "intersection")
then I would simply list all the fingerprints to get a list of all
relevant relays, but that does not work either (no results)
example (2 fingerprints separated by a single space):
https://atlas.torproject.org/#search/D5B8C38539C509380767D4DE20DE84CF84EE8299%201602E42D1DE3C7B3EF042F357F906DE55FA6C7C6
Also tried:
"lookup:D5B8C38539C509380767D4DE20DE84CF84EE8299%20lookup:1602E42D1DE3C7B3EF042F357F906DE55FA6C7C6"

In this search, the search terms are AND connected:

https://onionoo.torproject.org/summary?search=contact:Neel%20D46175487C3

So I'm not sure
- if the current behavior works as documented and intended
- How to get a stop-gap solution without false-positives/false-negative
search results

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?
(or does the AND/OR mode depend on whether search qualifiers are used?)

thanks,
nusenu

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu