[metrics-team] Collector 1.1 Instance

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Nov 3 09:05:05 UTC 2016

Hi Tom,

On 02/11/16 17:37, Tom Ritter wrote:
> On 2 November 2016 at 03:28, Karsten Loesing
> <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> On 01/11/16 20:37, Tom Ritter wrote:
>>> I've had it running for a few days here:
>>> https://bwauth.ritter.vg/
>>
>> Neat!  Are you planning to keep it running in the longer term?
>> If so, I'd want to enable synchronization from your CollecTor
>> instance for including descriptors that the primary CollecTor
>> instance is missing.
>>
>> I'm already synchronizing from iwakeh's CollecTor instance since
>> yesterday, and I think that having a third instance run by a
>> trusted person would be great.
>
> Yes, I can/plan to keep this running indefinitely.

Awesome!

>> Would it be difficult for you to create a new subdomain like
>> https://collector.ritter.vg/?  I could imagine that we'll soon
>> put links to mirrors on the CollecTor page, and people might be
>> confused by the bwauth part.
>
> Yes, this is done. I didn't set up vhosts or anything though. Let
> me know if you'd want more :)

Can you update the following property in your collector.properties
(exactly like this, without trailing slash)?

InstanceBaseUrl = https://collector.ritter.vg

That URL should then be included at the top of:
https://collector.ritter.vg/index/index.json

If that doesn't work, just restart the java process and look again
after the next updateindex module run.

>>> Historical data may be spotty but I didn't delete it.  My
>>> config is below.
>>
>> Looks good, except for one setting: `BridgeSources = Local` won't
>> do anything, because you don't have Bifroest's bridge descriptor
>> tarballs.  You could either disable the module by setting
>> `BridgedescsActivated = false`, or you could synchronize
>> sanitized bridge descriptors from the primary CollecTor
>> instance.
>
> This is fixed, changed to Sync.

Looks good.

>>> One thing I noticed is that create-tarballs takes a LONG time.
>>> I mean I know it's supposed to, but I'm talking 14 hours. (I
>>> think the extra-info files seem to be the big ones).
>>
>> True.  It's taking 27.5 hours on the primary CollecTor instance:
>>
>> Tue Nov 1 03:25:01 UTC 2016 Starting [...] Wed Nov 2 07:00:27 UTC
>> 2016 Finished.
>>
>> That's why that script is only running every 3 days.
>
> Okay - I set it up to run 3 days a week.

Okay.