[metrics-team] How to establish identity on converted descriptors

tl tl at rat.io
Sun Jun 19 21:01:27 UTC 2016

> On 19.06.2016, at 19:30, tl <tl at rat.io> wrote:
>
> We were discussing handling of duplicate descriptors during the last metrics-team IRC chat. Thinking about it I became aware that I’m not always sure how to establish the identity of a descriptor in the first place. It’s easy for descriptors that contain fingerprints (relay, relayExtra, bridge, bridgeExtra). For the other descriptors I could imagine that certain timesamps can serve as identifiers. I guess the type information is always needed as a second part to guarentee uniqueness of the identifier.
>
>  relay         type + fingerprint
>  relayExtra    type + fingerprint
>  relayVote     type + published (or valid-after?)
>  relayCons     type + valid-after
>  bridge        type + fingerprint
>  bridgeExtra   type + fingerprint
>  bridgeStatus  type + published
>  torperf       type + start
>  tordnsel      type + downloaded
>
> Can soemone please comment if this makes sense?

Okay, I can see for myself that it doesn’t. Relays and bridge descriptors additionally need a timestamp to be unique since the fingerprint identifies only the router itself, at any point in time. OTOH vote  descriptors need an authority identifier.

  relay         type + fingerprint + published
  relayExtra    type + fingerprint + published
  relayVote     type + identity + published
  relayConsens  type + valid-after
  bridge        type + fingerprint + published
  bridgeExtra   type + fingerprint + published
  bridgeStatus  type + published
  torperf       type + start
  tordnsel      type + downloaded

That’s better but is it good enough? BridgeStatus, Torperf and Tordnsel still seem underspecified to me.

oma