[metrics-team] How to establish identity on converted descriptors

tl tl at rat.io
Sun Jun 19 17:30:24 UTC 2016

We were discussing handling of duplicate descriptors during the last metrics-team IRC chat. Thinking about it I became aware that I’m not always sure how to establish the identity of a descriptor in the first place. It’s easy for descriptors that contain fingerprints (relay, relayExtra, bridge, bridgeExtra). For the other descriptors I could imagine that certain timesamps can serve as identifiers. I guess the type information is always needed as a second part to guarentee uniqueness of the identifier.

  relay         type + fingerprint
  relayExtra    type + fingerprint
  relayVote     type + published (or valid-after?)
  relayCons     type + valid-after
  bridge        type + fingerprint
  bridgeExtra   type + fingerprint
  bridgeStatus  type + published
  torperf       type + start
  tordnsel      type + downloaded

Can soemone please comment if this makes sense?

oma