[metrics-team] Looking for information on the number of Tor Browser downloads per language

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Jul 26 14:42:57 UTC 2016

On 26/07/16 16:05, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> On 26/07/16 01:04, isabela wrote:
>> Hello Metrics Team!
>
>> I would like to ask a favor, maybe you can help me out with this.
>> I am working on establishing tiers of languages for Tor Browser
>> support.
>
>> Background information:
>
>> While working at internationalization at Twitter we created
>> tiers of languages to define the top ones that translations
>> should definitely be at a certain percentage of translation
>> completion at all times (i.e. 90% of strings submitted to
>> Transifex are translated for language X).
>
>> At Twitter we had Tier 1, 2 and 3. These tiers were created
>> according to current users numbers or potential markets we
>> wanted to grow in.
>
>> I would like to create something similar for Tor. This will be
>> super helpful when we have the website localized and will help
>> us build a strategy for releasing new languages etc.
>
>> Right now we are writing a grant proposal that will involve the
>> redesign and localization of the website and to have a set of
>> languages that we must have translation completed by launch will
>> be helpful for the piece of the proposal where we talk about how
>> we will be measuring success for this particular milestone.
>
>> These tiers will for sure change over time -- it won't be
>> something set on stone, ideally we should keep reviewing them and
>> adapt them.
>
>> The Favor:
>
>> Would be possible to have some idea of what are the top languages
>>  downloaded for Tor Browser? Maybe take a look on what data we
>> have so far, I know we started collecting this on Q4 last year so
>> we have some good months of data (or maybe I could be wrong
>> here, please let me know).
>
>> Let me know if this is something possible to get. And I
>> apologize for asking for this information so close to our
>> deadline (August 1st) - I had other deadlines that I was dealing
>> with and didn't had the time to reach out earlier. If it's too
>> much, let me know and we will try to plan accordingly with what
>> we have.
>
> Sure, I'll take a look!

Here are the fractions of Tor Browser downloads by locale from a
single dist.torproject.org mirror from July 1 to 23, 2016 for all
platforms and all Tor Browser versions:

en-US    71.59%
ru       7.70%
es-ES    4.22%
fr       3.52%
de       2.13%
pt-PT    1.91%
tr       1.80%
it       1.40%
ko       1.36%
zh-CN    1.31%
(other)  3.06%

Hope that's what you were looking for.  If not, please let me know!