[metrics-team] Adding churn visualization to Metrics

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Thu Jan 28 17:01:35 UTC 2016

On 26/01/16 16:27, Philipp Winter wrote:
> Hi Karsten,

Hi Philipp,

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:57:44AM +0100, Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Do you want to take a look at this guide and give me some
>> feedback what parts need more explanation?
>
> Of course, thanks for writing this!  That should be enough to get
> me started.

Great.  Please let me know if you're blocking on something or feeling
that you could be making more progress with a little more help from
me, and I'll happily provide more details.

> I added some minor feedback inline.
>
>> - What Metrics is not: The typical Tor researcher or Tor
>> developer would probably want to dive deeper into the data to
>> learn even more about the Tor network.  But in contrast to the
>> average Metrics user they could just fetch the original data from
>> CollecTor and run their own analysis.  Metrics is not trying to
>> be the solution for everyone. If we have to choose, we're aiming
>> for simplicity than for
> ^^^^^^^^ I would write "instead of".

Changed.

>> - Data-processing modules: The bulk of Metrics code is running in
>> the background, invisible to Metrics users.  It's the code that
>> takes CollecTor data as input and that produces .csv files that
>> are the basis for graphs and tables on Metrics.  There's usually
>> one such module per generated .csv file that focuses on a
>> different aspect of Tor network data.  All these modules are
>> periodically executed by the system's cron daemon, independent of
>> user requests to the website part of Metrics.  See the modules/
>> subdirectory for the existing data-processing modules.  Note that
>> modules don't have to be written in Java even though that's
>> currently the case for all of them.  The only requirement is that
>> there's a shell script to run the module using packages available
>> in Debian stable.  The remaining components of Metrics are all
>> related to its website part.
>
> I would mention explicitly that you are talking about the
> metrics-web git repository, and maybe even provide the URL:
> <https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-web.git/>

The plan was to add this text to that repository, which I just did.

But here's a related thought: Should we rename metrics-web to metrics
and also rename metrics-db to collector, so that people have an easier
time finding these repositories?  Maybe it's possible to create some
sort of symbolic link that would prevent existing clones from
breaking.  Do you think I should ask for that, or would you as Metrics
contributor not mind?