[metrics-team] M.Sc projects at Edinburgh

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Jan 13 14:13:16 UTC 2016

On 13/01/16 12:53, William Waites wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:37:43 -0800, David Fifield
> <david at bamsoftware.com> said:
>
>> Historical analysis of gaming the HSDir hash ring
>
> Cool one! I've included this more or less verbatim. Are you happy
> to co-supervise?

Leaving the specific question about co-supervising to David.

But did you already turn this idea into a proposal, or do you need
anything else from David or somebody else from the metrics team?

> On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 12:14:46 +0100, Karsten Loesing
> <karsten at torproject.org> said:
>
>> 3. Exposed bad relays
>
> I like this one!

Cool!  Same question as above, did you already write a proposal using
the text I gave you, or do you need anything else from Tor people?

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 18:08:53 +0100, tl <tl at rat.io> said:
>
>> The first step in the analytics project was setting up the Big
>> Data infrastructure and providing the raw Tor network data in a
>> format readily useable by standard data anlytics tools. That work
>> is practically done and now it has to be put to good use
>
> There's a lot here... Looking at the clock, I think that unless
> some data science folk here latch onto these (and write the
> detailed descriptions in time for Friday's deadline!) maybe wait
> for the next iteration -- we don't have to do everything at once!

I agree.  To be clear, the analytics project is very interesting and
would be a good fit for a M.Sc project, but it's probably safer to
first see it in action and then have a student extend it in some way.

> Cheers, and thank you to everyone who has responded!

Well, thanks for starting this thread!