[metrics-team] M.Sc projects at Edinburgh

William Waites wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 19:20:46 UTC 2016

Hi Karsten,

Sorry for the delay. I'm told (and I can believe it) that the general
problem of allocating students to projects in an optimal way is
NP-hard and each year it seems like Informatics tries a different
approach to solve the problem. This year it turned out that the
constraints placed by students selecting a list of projects and
supervisors selecting a list of students proved to not be satisfiable
for about 20% of students. So there's some scrambling going on, with a
new deadline for getting it sorted out of the 19th...

That said, the three Tor-related projects did not seem to attract much
interest -- there were only a couple of inquiries from students. We
will see if that changes in this second round of allocations, but I'd
like to make sure that the students we get on these projects are
motivated and suitable.

Failing that (or in addition to that) it is reasonable to reuse the
same proposals for the 4th year undergrad and/or MInf projects, but
these would start later -- next September or so.

Let's see who comes out of the woodwork in the next week or so...

-w

--
William Waites <wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk>  |  School of Informatics
   https://tardis.ed.ac.uk/~wwaites/      | University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.