[metrics-team] metrics-web detect script update and question

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Nov 17 10:27:06 UTC 2015

On 16/11/15 22:57, seamus tuohy wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Seamus,

> Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> writes:
>
>> Great to see your interest in making the censorship detector
>> better!
>>
>> So, I have been thinking about your plan to submit a pull request
>> for the rewrite of the current functionality, and I think I'd
>> want to suggest a different plan:
>>
>> How about you deploy your rewritten code on a minimal website
>> that visualizes the output of your rewritten censorship detection
>> script, possibly comparing it to other algorithms, and we link
>> that website from the Metrics website?
>>

> Sadly, My expertise is not in the statistical analysis, but in
> open source software development. This is why I focused on making
> the existing code cleaner and more cleanly documented and
> structured. It would be a much more significant task for me to
> compare the original algorithm to others.
>
>> Let me explain this plan a bit more: what we really want is a
>> better censorship detection algorithm that doesn't produce as
>> many false positives.  Your rewrite can be a great starting point
>> for that.  But there's no need to merge code directly into
>> Metrics until we're sure we found an algorithm we like better
>> than the current one, and maybe that requires making two or three
>> attempts to get it right.  For now, I'd rather want to add a link
>> to your results.  We can always discuss replacing the script in
>> Metrics with a new one later, but there are really no
>> requirements other than that it can read a .csv in the provided
>> format and write a new .csv in the expected format.
>>
>> If you're not sure what I mean by link, here are two examples
>> for external links on Tor Metrics:
>>
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/oxford-anonymous-internet.html
>>
>> https://metrics.torproject.org/uncharted-data-flow.html
>>
>> Does that plan make sense to you?  It's really great that you're
>> picking up this topic.  Thanks for that!
>>

> I will keep the code available if anyone wants to use it as a base
> to implement a better algorithm, but if this code will not serve
> any functional purpose I see no value in putting any additional
> work into it.

That's not at all what I wanted to achieve here!  I do see this code
serving a purpose when it runs on a dedicated website (which can
probably run on a tiny VM) built to compare detection algorithms.  And
this doesn't mean that you would have to implement those other
algorithms yourself, that could easily be done by others.  To be
clear, I think that your rewrite makes it more likely that others
start working on different algorithms, so that's already a benefit.

I'm just careful with adding this code directly to Tor Metrics yet,
because that causes quite some overhead for you and me without
providing an immediate benefit.  It's a non-trivial amount of work for
me to review your code and make sure it does the exact same thing as
the current code, because I didn't write the current code and only
reviewed it once many years ago.

I would rather want to promote your website by adding a link to
Metrics and by making a call for help on the Tor development mailing
list.  Let me know if you'd want that.

Really hope that makes sense.