[global-south] Stauts of Global South Projects

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Tue Apr 10 16:11:27 UTC 2018

On 04/09/2018 03:52 PM, Rafael Bonifaz wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I see there are two projects in the trac page of Global South
> team[1]:
>
> * Tor Relay Campaign in Latin America * Global South Tor Trainer
> Support
>
> There isn't much information of the status of those projects. What
> actions are being taking for the Tor Relay Campaign? Where do you
> need help?
>
> Best,
>
> Rafael
>

> [1]
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam/
Projects/GlobalSouth

Hi

Rafael,

Welcome to the list!

Sorry that the wiki isn't updated -- that's my fault! I can give you a
brief update on the projects here, and maybe some others on this list
can help:

- - Tor Relay Campaign in Latin America

ilv is working on this directly, so I'll let him give an update. But
in addition to this campaign, a number of people have been holding Tor
meetups for users and relay operators in LATAM, so that's another way
that relay operation has been encouraged in the region.

- - Global South Tor trainer support

This project is a little less active now. We had a small amount of
funding for supporting Tor outreach work in LATAM, and we gave it out
to different trainers on an as-need basis. That's still happening
somewhat, but it expanded into us looking for a funder to make this an
even bigger effort. Ideally we'd like to be able to support many Tor
trainings/meetups and fund the associated costs like travel and
resources.

Other things that are happening:
- - hiring a community liaison to do some of the outreach work listed abov
- - holding the first Tor Meeting in LATAM (Mexico City Sept-Oct 2018)
- - usability/outreach work in LATAM and East Africa
- - making more connections with Tor people in the Global South and
bringing them to the Tor Meeting

Anyone else want to chime in with what I'm missing?

Alison