[global-south] Mudar nome de global-south - (/bin/mv -i -v global-south 'DEST')

George george at queair.net
Tue Oct 24 00:05:00 UTC 2017

Gunnar Wolf:
> Vasilis dijo [Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 07:25:00PM +0000]:
>> Oi!
>>
>> Starting this thread for a descriptive and nicer name than the global-south.
>>
>> Potential names proposed during/around the Tor meeting:
>> * notEUS
>> * lava
>> * LATAM
>
> Ummm... "Global South" has some bad things, yes, but it is clearly
> more descriptive and reaching than the other proposed ones. LATAM
> could work, if you restrict the scope of the group to Latin America
> (am unsure if it aligns with the general feeling)...
>
> Note that, as a Mexican, "Global South" feels a bit inadequate, as we
> are clearly North-Hemispheric (although there is an undeniable
> North-South divide, not denying that). I would be happy in a "Global
> South" group. I would be happy in a LATAM group (is it an endorsement
> for the airline group by that name?) But we _are_ excluding Africa,
> Asia, Oceania...
>
> Maybe if a better understanding of the group's _definition_ is found,
> a fitting name will emerge naturally out of it?

Valid points Gunnar.

Maybe we delay the discussion on the name, and focus on something more
concrete?

I only joined this list recently, but I think it's a good goal to focus
on the Santiago, Chile event in December. In other words, let's focus on
Latin America, as the consensus seems to say, then worry about the list
name later?

The main person for the event is on this list... and maybe he could
refocus on discussion.

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682