[global-south] About global-south listinfo

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Tue Dec 5 12:29:58 UTC 2017

On 12/4/17 20:55, Vasilis wrote:
> The need to add translation arised when people asked ne in which fields
> of the mailing list they should add their email address and what do they
> need to do next in order to subscribe to this list.

Ok, mailman UI is already translated:

"Multi-lingual support: list web pages and email notices can be in any
of nearly two dozen supported language, configurable per-site, per-list,
and per-user"

But the thing is the way mailman works, is when you are creating a list
you tell which language it should use. And it will have the sign up form
in that language and also all notification emails.

It doesn't let you to pick a language on the fly from a drop-down menu
or something.

So don't need to translate the UI, but to let users pick what language
they want to see it might be a little difficult. Because they actually
need to do it for their account, which means they need to read it
English first.

Unless we start to migrate people from this list to language specific
ones or region specific ones.

Cheers,
isabela