[global-south] Any users from Mexico here?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 20:03:05 UTC 2017

> On 2 Dec 2017, at 05:09, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf at debian.org> wrote:
>
> Jens Kubieziel dijo [Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 06:35:54PM +0100]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was contacted by a user from Mexico. Is anyone on this list who can
>> offer some advice when it comes to running a relay from your home
>> connection?
>
> I am in Mexico City (about to leave for the weekend to Chile ☺, and
> shortly afterwards will disappear a few weeks for family vacations). I
> operate a relay on my work (university) network, but yes, I can
> confirm I was unable to set one up at home with the country's biggest
> ISP.
>
> I do intend to work on this when I have some free time, but so far I
> have been unable to get it to work.

About two years ago on tor-relays, we got an email from a relay operator
talking about the same issue. It seems that many Mexican ISPs block the
Tor directory authorities.

The fallback directory mirror feature helps Tor clients connect, and we
got good feedback when Tor Browser added this feature (Tor 0.2.8).

But that doesn't help relays, because they need to contact the authorities
directly.

The user might be able to run a bridge. And we should check that this works.
I opened #24483 so we remember to do this.

If running a bridge doesn't work, maybe they can use a server on a better
network to run a relay?