[global-south] next steps from Tor Meeting

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 00:30:43 UTC 2017

> On 25 Apr 2017, at 10:29, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf at debian.org> wrote:
>
> Gunnar Wolf dijo [Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 12:18:04AM -0500]:
>>> This sounds great!
>>>
>>> But it might be hard. Some Mexican ISPs block Tor.
>>> They stop relays connecting to the tor directory authorities.
>>> So people in Mexico tell us their relays do not work.
>>
>> Umh, I don't know about this issue. What I know is that my personal
>> (home) connection is with the largest ISP (Telmex / Infinitum), and I
>> was able to run a Tor relay for some time at home, no issues.
>
> Humh, so it seems there are bits to check. I will later give some
> attention to this bit at home, as I set up a relay, which logs no
> errors, but has not yet appeared at atlas.torproject.org despite being
> active for over 24h.

Yes, that's what people have told us happens with Telmex: the relay
can reach itself, but not the directory authorities. It will start
logging warnings after a few days if it is not in the consensus.

>>> Tor clients still work. They use fallback directories, which are harder
>>> to block.
>>>
>>> Does your university block the Tor directory authorities?
>>> Does it use an ISP that blocks Tor?
>>
>> How do you suggest me to check this? So far, I have only used Tor as a
>> client. Should I just set up a relay and report on my findings? (I
>> plan to do it next time I have some free time available... Problem is,
>> I never have :-( )
>
> Good news:
>
>    https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/4661DE96D3F8E923994B05218F23760C8D7935A4

Great!
Looks like your university does not block clients or relays.

Please upgrade to a newer Tor version, 2.5.12 is really old!

The instructions for Debian and Ubuntu are here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n