[global-south] next steps from Tor Meeting

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at debian.org
Tue Apr 25 00:29:02 UTC 2017

Gunnar Wolf dijo [Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 12:18:04AM -0500]:
> > This sounds great!
> >
> > But it might be hard. Some Mexican ISPs block Tor.
> > They stop relays connecting to the tor directory authorities.
> > So people in Mexico tell us their relays do not work.
>
> Umh, I don't know about this issue. What I know is that my personal
> (home) connection is with the largest ISP (Telmex / Infinitum), and I
> was able to run a Tor relay for some time at home, no issues.

Humh, so it seems there are bits to check. I will later give some
attention to this bit at home, as I set up a relay, which logs no
errors, but has not yet appeared at atlas.torproject.org despite being
active for over 24h.

> > Tor clients still work. They use fallback directories, which are harder
> > to block.
> >
> > Does your university block the Tor directory authorities?
> > Does it use an ISP that blocks Tor?
>
> How do you suggest me to check this? So far, I have only used Tor as a
> client. Should I just set up a relay and report on my findings? (I
> plan to do it next time I have some free time available... Problem is,
> I never have :-( )

Good news:

    https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/4661DE96D3F8E923994B05218F23760C8D7935A4