[global-south] next steps from Tor Meeting

Gunnar Wolf gwolf at gwolf.org
Sat Apr 22 05:18:04 UTC 2017

teor dijo [Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 02:43:46PM +1000]:
> This sounds great!
>
> But it might be hard. Some Mexican ISPs block Tor.
> They stop relays connecting to the tor directory authorities.
> So people in Mexico tell us their relays do not work.

Umh, I don't know about this issue. What I know is that my personal
(home) connection is with the largest ISP (Telmex / Infinitum), and I
was able to run a Tor relay for some time at home, no issues.

> Tor clients still work. They use fallback directories, which are harder
> to block.
>
> Does your university block the Tor directory authorities?
> Does it use an ISP that blocks Tor?

How do you suggest me to check this? So far, I have only used Tor as a
client. Should I just set up a relay and report on my findings? (I
plan to do it next time I have some free time available... Problem is,
I never have :-( )

> This seems like it might work. And it is closer to the US and Europe.
>
> But we need a hotel and venue that do not block Tor clients.
> In Mexico we risk some ISPs blocking Tor clients as well as relays.
>
> Are there ISPs in Mexico that allow Tor?

Again, AFAICT, using Tor as a client works quite well. Help me check
this, and I'll do more thorough checks.