[global-south] next steps from Tor Meeting

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 02:08:22 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm Tim (or teor), and I live in Australia.

I'm not really part of the global south. But I know what it is like
to be a long way away in a different timezone.

> Here are a few of the action items we discussed during our two Global
> South sessions at the Amsterdam Tor Meeting:

> * More Tor infrastructure in the Global South (relays, DirAuths,
> BWAuths, etc)

I am helping micah and ilv work on this, starting with bandwidth
servers.

> One thing I'd like to prioritize personally is holding the Tor Meeting
> in the Global South. We discussed some possible locations and some of
> the metrics we'd need to consider in identifying good places. Those
> metrics include:
> - overall cost
> - visa requirements
> - length of travel from the EU and the US/Canada (though we will
> consider this, we discussed how people in the Global South have had to
> deal with long travel times to the EU for all past meetings, so if we
> find a good place that is a great distance from the EU, so be it)
> - internet speeds

Tor will be slower anywhere in the global south, because most guards are
in North America / Europe. (It amazed me how fast Tor was in Amsterdam
compared with Canberra.)

But it will be good for people to know what it is like.

> Any other data points that we should consider? Anyone want to throw out
> some initial ideas for host cities? Some of the cities already discussed
> a bit include Quito, Mexico City, São Paulo, and Lima. There was some
> rough consensus that South America is the best first place for a meeting
> in the South, but it would be great to hear from people who disagree on
> that.

I think South America is a great first place.

Some countries in South-East Asia have excellent internet, and cheap and
good hotels. But they are a long way away from both the EU and North
America. And I'm not sure of the visa requirements.

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n
xmpp: teor at torproject dot org