[anti-censorship-team] Snowflake bridge operations

Linus Nordberg linus at torproject.org
Wed Jan 17 12:50:51 UTC 2024

Hi,

I started asking questions in #tor-anticensorship about how traffic can
be directed towards certain snowflake bridges. Moving my questions here
to reach more/other people.

Hey all. In trying to make a 2024 budget for the [Snowflake Operations][]
project operating snowflake-01.tpn I need a better understanding of how
we direct traffic to the running bridges. Both what potential challenges
there are to do it and what the policy for it looks like. The background
is that snowflake-01 is close to going full due to CPU consumption. I
haven't spotted any flat lines yet but have seen momentary CPU
utilisation of 98% a couple of times.

Here are two of the questions I'm looking for an answer to.

1. If we get another server, similar to snowflake-01 wrt performance,
will it be useful to the network? Ie will it offload snowflake-01?

2. If we do **not** get another server and snowflake-01 goes full, will
users have a bad network experience as a result of this? Can traffic be
moved to snowflake-02?

[Snowflake Operations]: https://opencollective.com/censorship-circumvention/projects/snowflake-daily-operations