[anti-censorship-team] obfs4/lyrebird terminology

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Wed Aug 21 04:03:26 UTC 2024

A coupld of forthcoming papers are using "Lyrebird" as if it were the
name of a protocol, a synonym for obfs4:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2405.13310

https://eprint.iacr.org/2024/1086
> The obfs4/lyrebird protocol, specified in [60], is separated into two
> distinct phases:

This, to me, seems like an incorrect use of terminology. I am planning
to tell the authors so. But I just want to check that my understanding
matches the consensus opinion, which I would summarize thus:

There is no such thing as a "lyrebird" protocol. Lyrebird is a program
that implements several protocols, including obfs3, obfs4, and meek.
Lyrebird is a fork of obfs4proxy, which likewise is a program, not a
protocol. Just as there is no "lyrebird" protocol, there is no
"obfs4proxy" protocol; these are names of programs that both happen to
implement an identical protocol, which protocol is called obfs4.

Do you agree?

Tor renaming its fork of obfs4proxy Lyrebird was an effort to reduce
confusion. I worry that we will have years of confusion to deal with if
the mistaken assumption lyrebird ≈ obfs4 (rather than lyrebird ≈
obfs4proxy) gets consecrated in print.