[anti-censorship-team] future of PTs

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Mon Oct 23 18:12:18 UTC 2023

Last Tuesday's conversation was very productive, a lot of people participated
and many topics were raised. I'll try to do a summary of what was discussed
there, please correct me if I'm wrong or I miss something I had some audio
issues during the meeting and I miss some pieces, I'm pretty sure I will miss or
confuse something important here.

We agreed on not putting much effort on multiprocess IPC (or an evolution of the
current pt-spec), and focus or energies on designing the future of PTs as
libraries integrated into arti. Having a clear API/ABI will be possible in the
future to create an IPC if needed, as a plugin that converts the API into the
IPC protocol, but that is something we don't plan to focus on in the near
future.

We see a future where arti comes with "batteries included", so it has PTs and
Connect Assist integrated and implementors using it don't need to do all the
work of joining those pieces. There was many questions on how an API/ABI should
look like for this. We acknowledge that in the past we've tried to be generic
and reusable by other projects, but in reality our pt-spec hasn't being used
much outside the Tor ecosystem. And we think it makes more sense to focus on
what we need at Tor and not into making it reusable.

There is a big ecosystem of projects currently using PTs with Tor, we do need to
include them into this conversation so our design doesn't miss key features that
are needed by others.

Alex will prepare a draft proposal in a pad to start working and move this
conversation forward.

Quoting meskio (2023-10-16 12:31:43)

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/