[anti-censorship-team] Identify from which continent people connect from

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Tue Mar 21 12:36:18 UTC 2023

Quoting mxz+tor-anti-censorship-team--- via anti-censorship-team (2023-03-20 22:31:23)
> a while ago (10.02.2023) I tried to send an email on the tor-talk mailing list
> but apparently it never got through as it's still awaiting approval. (it
> wasn't denied either, afaik)

I think tor-talk is being having less and less movement in favor of the
forum[0], but we should either close the list or take care of the moderation.
Sorry.

> recently, there was an interesting side note on the cryptography mailing list
> [1].
> Quote:
>
> > (People have written code to predict what continent an anonymous person using Tor is on, based on noticing over a period of time when
> their remote system clocks ran faster or slower, assuming that was
> caused by nighttime versus daytime temperatures.)
>
> I was wondering if any of you know about this and where I could find
> code that does this? Any links to research and papers would be highly
> appreciated, too.
>
> Especially, I'm wondering how they do this:
>
> - via differences in the above mentioned system clock (impressive?!)
> - timing analysis with latency? things like lower latency in Europe as
> there are more tor relays around compared to Argentina.
> - do you need to have any prerequisites? e.g. controlling at least one
> node, or the exit node, or a "clear text" server/hidden service that
> someone connects to?
>

> Finally, if that's the wrong list, please refer me to the right one.
> Thanks!
>

> [1]:
> https://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2023-February/038109.html

I didn't know about that. You can ask in the forum[0], maybe someone there knows
about it.

[0] https://forum.torproject.net

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/