[anti-censorship-team] Not enough unrestricted Snowflake proxy polls

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Sep 29 15:39:01 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-29 11:05, Cecylia Bocovich wrote:
> Besides recruiting more proxies, could we stretch the existing
> unrestricted proxies further? When a proxy finds its own NAT type to be
> unrestricted, it could increase its polling frequency and/or concurrent
> capacity.

I've opened a merge request that will both increase the polling
frequency and bump up the max number of clients from 1 to 2 for
unrestricted proxies. This change happens once the proxies have
successfully opened a datachannel with a client.

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake-webext/-/merge_requests/47/diffs

Proxies that work well with clients in their pool already poll pretty
frequently (once every 60s), so I don't think increasing this to 30
seconds will make much of a difference, but doubling the capacity for
unrestricted web-based proxies should. I'm hesitant to increase the
maximum number of clients further without more testing.