[anti-censorship-team] Need to increase number of tor instances on snowflake-01 bridge, increased usage since yesterday

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Fri Sep 23 15:01:37 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-22 11:24, David Fifield wrote:
> There is increased usage of the snowflake-01 bridge since yesterday,
> likely related to protests/shutdowns in Iran. The 4 load-balanced tor
> instances, which recently were at about 60% CPU at the steady state, are
> currently near 100%.
>
> I am planning to increase the number of instances today.

It looks like we're also reaching proxy capacity again for the first
time in a while.

I've attached a visualization of available proxies that are compatible
with all types of client NATs. You can see in the first image that the
number of idle proxies has gone to zero and all available proxies are
being matched. The second image shows spikes in the number of clients
denied a working proxy.

The depletion of this proxy pool could be due to the high amount of
mobile network usage, since these networks are likely to have complex
and restrictive NAT topologies.