[anti-censorship-team] TorCloak Pluggable Transport

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Thu Sep 1 18:45:29 UTC 2022

On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 05:30:23PM +0000, Diogo Barradas wrote:
> Thank you again for all the details and suggestions!
>
> We???ll keep you posted on our advances and work towards
> integrating TorCloak with Tor in the near future.

Hi Diogo!

Great to hear from you and great to hear that you're working in
the "deploying pluggable transports" space.

(Wearing my Tor comms team hat) Hopefully this is the perfect time to
bring up the name topic: everybody starts off by naming their thing
TorSomething, but we try to discourage names of that form: in practice
these names confuse users and the community about who made the thing,
whether it's "official", where to turn for support, etc.

This is why the other Tor pluggable transports aren't named TorObfuscator,
TorRTC, TorFront, TorTunnel, etc.

See more details about how we hope names will work here:
https://www.torproject.org/about/trademark/#trademark-faq-4

In particular, we think it's fine to use TorFoo in a research paper
title, because those don't confuse users about software; but once there
is software for users (and it sounds like you're heading that way, which
is great!) then usually there comes a point where you wish in retrospect
you had picked a more unique name. :)

Thanks!
--Roger