[anti-censorship-team] Surge in Snowflake client polls

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Mon Feb 28 00:32:30 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-26 15:45, Cecylia Bocovich wrote:
> While looking at the snowflake broker metrics for clues about the
> sudden drops in known proxy NAT types[0], I noticed that the broker
> metrics show a very large spike in client polls over the last day.
> I've attached a few graphs that show this, which probably won't have
> showed up in tor relay metrics yet.
[snip]

> Perhaps this is a good time to push to get more proxies? It seems we
> could use proxies for both restrictive and unrestrictive NATs at this
> point.

Just an update on this: we've seen a huge spike in snowflake proxies
over the last day, and there are now over 20K unique proxies IPs/day.
This increase included proxies for the restrictive NAT proxy pool as
well as the unrestrictive pool (graphs attached). With this increase it
looks like the number of proxies is not currently a bottleneck, though
we'll see what happens if client polls increase again.