[anti-censorship-team] Snowflake bridge outage, 2022-02-18

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Feb 24 15:58:53 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-18 the Snowflake bridge was offline between about 14:02:05
and 15:26:38. I was alerted to the outage by Shelikhoo. The cause of the
outage is unknown.

There had been some kind of kernel crash (see first attached file for
what was visible on the console), which required me to restart the VPS
externally. After I restarted it, everything came back as normal.

I asked Greenhost support if they knew of anything that might have
happened in the data center to cause the problem, and they did not. I
asked about using a management API to automatically restart the server
if it happens again, but they did not have specific guidance on that.

Resource graphs show that the CPU was still active during the outage,
but the network usage was quiet.