[anti-censorship-team] Crash in Snowflake users since 2021-01-17

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Thu Jan 21 01:04:04 UTC 2021

I find this unlikely. I should have been more clear in my wording. From
what I can tell there wasn't a massive group of proxies disappearing or
joining. The group of proxies is more or less the same. The only change
is what type of NAT the proxies think they have.

Let me give a bit more background information. Each proxy performs a
test once a day to determine what type of NAT they have (see
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/wikis/NAT-matching).
If the proxies fail to complete the check (i.e., the probe server is
down), then they set their NAT type to "unknown". Given that the number
of proxies with "unknown" types rose drastically, and the number of both
unrestricted and restricted proxies fell, I'm guessing there is an issue
with the probe server responsible for the NAT test. It might have been
overloaded or ended up misconfigured.

Looking at the metrics, there doesn't seem to be a change in the
geolocation of proxy IP addresses either.

Cecylia