[anti-censorship-team] Throttling: What's old is new again

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Wed Apr 7 14:03:15 UTC 2021

I found the premise of this article [0], that throttling connections
(based on SNI) is new, a little amusing. It reminds me of how Iran
implemented a very similar technique almost a decade ago [1]. I don't
know of earlier uses of throttling as a censorship mechanism, at this
scale, before the early-2010's (but I'd be interested in learning about
them, if anyone knows).

An earlier article about Roskomnadzor's implementation is interesting
[2], for those who missed it.

[0] https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/04/russias-twitter-throttling-may-give-censors-never-before-seen-capabilities/
[1] https://ooni.org/post/iran-internet-censorship/#reported-cases-of-internet-censorship
[2] https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/a-russian-isp-confirms-roskomnadzors-twitter-blocking-blooper/