[anti-censorship-team] Turbo Tunnel in Snowflake

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Sat Feb 1 02:24:48 UTC 2020

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/log/?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2

These are the elements of a Turbo Tunnel implementation for Snowflake.
Turbo Tunnel is a name for overlaying an abstract, virtual session on
top of concrete, physical network connections, such that the virtual
session is not tied to any particular network connection. In Snowflake,
it solves the problem of migrating a session across multiple WebRTC
connections as temporary proxies come and go. This post is a walkthrough
of the code changes and my design decisions.

== How to try it ==

Download the branch and build it:
	git remote add dcf https://git.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git
	git checkout -b turbotunnel --track dcf/turbotunnel
	for d in client server broker proxy-go; do (cd $d && go build); done
Run the broker (not changed in this branch):
	broker/broker --disable-tls --addr 127.0.0.1:8000
Run a proxy (not changed in this branch):
	proxy-go/proxy-go --broker http://127.0.0.1:8000/ --relay ws://127.0.0.1:8080/
Run the server:
	tor -f torrc.server
	# contents of torrc.server:
	DataDirectory datadir-server
	SocksPort 0
	ORPort 9001
	ExtORPort auto
	BridgeRelay 1
	AssumeReachable 1
	PublishServerDescriptor 0
	ServerTransportListenAddr snowflake 0.0.0.0:8080
	ServerTransportPlugin snowflake exec server/server --disable-tls --log snowflake-server.log
Run the client:
	tor -f torrc.client
	# contents of torrc.client:
	DataDirectory datadir-client
	UseBridges 1
	SocksPort 9250
	ClientTransportPlugin snowflake exec client/client --url http://127.0.0.1:8000/ --ice stun:stun.l.google.com:19302 --log snowflake-client.log
	Bridge snowflake 0.0.3.0:1

Start downloading a big file through the tor SocksPort. You will be able
to see activity in snowflake-client.log and in the output of proxy-go.
	curl -x socks5://127.0.0.1:9250/ --location --speed-time 60 https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/10.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso > /dev/null

Now kill proxy-go and restart it. Wait 30 seconds for snowflake-client
to notice the proxy has disappeared. Then snowflake-client.log will say
	redialing on same connection
and the download will resume. It's not curl restarting the download on a
new connection—from the perspective of curl (and tor) it's all one long
proxy connection, with a 30-second lull in the middle. Only
snowflake-client knows that there were two WebRTC connections involved.

== Introduction to code changes ==

Start by looking at the server changes:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/diff/server/server.go?h=turbotunnel&id=0cdb52611b6091dc02ce88e10abaa5cc0c70be9a

The first thing to notice is a kind of "inversion" of control flow.
Formerly, the ServeHTTP function accepted WebSocket connections and
connected each one with the ORPort. There was no virtual session: each
WebSocket connection corresponded to exactly one client session. Now,
the main function, separately from starting the web server, starts a
virtual listener (kcp.ServeConn) that calls into a chain of
acceptSessions→acceptStreams→handleStream functions that ultimately
connects a virtual stream with the ORPort. But this virtual listener
doesn't actually open a network port, so what drives it? That's now the
sole responsibility of the ServeHTTP function. It still accepts
WebSocket connections, but it doesn't connect them directly to the
ORPort—instead, it pulls out discrete packets (encoded into the stream
using length prefixes) and feeds those packets to the virtual listener.
The glue that links the virtual listener and the ServeHTTP function is
QueuePacketConn, an abstract interface that allows the virtual listener
to send and receive packets without knowing exactly how those I/O
operations are implemented. (In this case, they're implemented by
encoding packets into WebSocket streams.)

The new control flow boils down to a simple, traditional listen/accept
loop, except that the listener doesn't interact with the network
directly, but only through the QueuePacketConn interface. The WebSocket
part of the program now only acts as a network interface that performs
I/O functions on behalf of the QueuePacketConn. In effect, we've moved
everything up one layer of abstraction: where formerly we had an HTTP
server using the operating system as a network interface, we now have a
virtual listener using the HTTP server as a network interface (which
in turn ultimately uses the operating system as the *real* network
interface).

Now look at the client changes:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/commit/?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2

The Handler function formerly grabbed exactly one snowflake proxy
(snowflakes.Pop()) and used its WebRTC connection until it died, at
which point it would close the SOCKS connection and terminate the whole
Tor session. Now, the function creates a RedialPacketConn, an abstract
interface that grabs a snowflake proxy, uses it for as long as it lasts,
then grabs another. Each of the temporary snowflake proxies is wrapped
in an EncapsulationPacketConn to convert it from a stream-oriented
interface to a packet-oriented interface. EncapsulationPacketConn uses
the same length-prefixed protocol that the server expects. We then
create a virtual client connection (kcp.NewConn2), configured to use the
RedialPacketConn as its network interface, and open a new virtual
stream. (This sequence of calls kcp.NewConn2→sess.OpenStream corresponds
to acceptSessions→acceptStreams on the server.) We then connect
(copyLoop) the SOCKS connection and the virtual stream. The virtual
stream never touches the network directly—it interacts indirectly
through RedialPacketConn and EncapsulationPacketConn, which make use of
whatever snowflake proxy WebRTC connection happens to exist at the time.

You'll notice that before anything else, the client sends a 64-bit
ClientID. This is a random number that identifies a particular client
session, made necessary because the virtual session is not tied to an IP
4-tuple or any other network identifier. The ClientID remains the same
across all redials in one call to the Handler function. The server
parses the ClientID out of the beginning of a WebSocket stream. The
ClientID is how the server knows if it should open a new ORPort
connection or append to an existing one, and which temporary WebSocket
connections should receive packets that are addressed to a particular
client.

There's a lot of new support code in the common/encapsulation and
common/turbotunnel directories, mostly reused from my previous work in
integrating Turbo Tunnel into pluggable transports.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/tree/common/encapsulation/encapsulation.go?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2
The encapsulation package provides a way of encoding a sequence of
packets into a stream. It's essentially just prefixing each packet with
its length, but it takes care to permit traffic shaping and padding to
the byte level. (The Snowflake turbotunnel branch doesn't take advantage
of the traffic-shaping and padding features.)

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/tree/common/turbotunnel/queuepacketconn.go?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/tree/common/turbotunnel/clientmap.go?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2
QueuePacketConn and ClientMap are imported pretty much unchanged from
the meek implementation (https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/21).
Together these data structures manage queues of packets and allow you to
send and receive them using custom code. In meek it was done over raw
HTTP bodies; here it's done over WebSocket. These two interfaces are
candidates for an eventual reusable Turbo Tunnel library.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/tree/common/turbotunnel/redialpacketconn.go?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2
RedialPacketConn is adapted from clientPacketConn in the obfs4proxy
implementation (https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/14#issuecomment-544747519).
It's the part that uses an underlying connection for as long as it
exists, then switches to a new one. Since the obfs4proxy implementation,
I've decided that it's better to have this type use the packet-oriented
net.PacketConn as the underlying type, not the stream-oriented net.Conn.
That way, RedialPacketConn doesn't have to know details of how packet
encapsulation happens, whether by EncapsulationPacketConn or some other
way.

== Backward compatibility ==

The branch as of commit 07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2 is not
backward compatible with the mainline Snowflake code. That's because the
server expects to find a ClientID and length-prefixed packets, and
currently deployed clients don't work that way. However, I think it will
be possible to make the server backward compatible. My plan is to
reserve a distinguished static token (64-bit value) and have the client
send that at the beginning of the stream, before its ClientID, to
indicate that it uses Turbo Tunnel features. The token will be selected
to be distinguishable from any protocol that non–Turbo Tunnel clients
might use (i.e., Tor TLS). Then, the server's ServeHTTP function can
choose one of two implementations, depending on whether it sees the
magic token or not.

If I get backward compatibility working, then we can deploy a dual-mode
bridge that is able to serve either type of client. Then I can try
making a Tor Browser build, to make the Turbo Tunnel code more
accessible for user testing.

One nice thing about all this is that it doesn't require any changes to
proxies. They remain simple dumb pipes, so we don't have to coordinate a
mass proxy upgrade.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/tree/server/server.go?h=turbotunnel&id=07495371d67f914d2c828bbd3d7facc455996bd2#n135
The branch currently lacks client geoip lookup (ExtORPort USERADDR),
because of the difficulty I have talked about before of providing an IP
address for a virtual session that is not inherently tied to any single
network connection or address. I have a plan for solving it, though; it
requires a slight breaking of abstractions. In the server, after reading
the ClientID, we can peek at the first 4 bytes of the first packet.
These 4 bytes are the KCP conversation ID (https://github.com/xtaci/kcp-go/blob/v5.5.5/kcp.go#L120),
a random number chosen by the client, serving roughly the same purpose
in KCP as our ClientID. We store a temporary mapping from the
conversation ID to the IP address of client making the WebSocket
connection. kcp-go provides a GetConv function that we can call in
handleStream, just as we're about to connect to the ORPort, to look up
the client's IP address in the mapping. The possibility of doing this is
one reason I decided to go with KCP for this implementation rather than
QUIC as I did in the meek implementation: the quic-go package doesn't
expose an accessor for the QUIC connection ID.

== Limitations ==

I'm still using the same old logic for detecting a dead proxy, 30
seconds without receiving any data. This is suboptimal for many reasons
(https://bugs.torproject.org/25429), one of which is that when your
proxy dies, you have to wait at least 30 seconds until the connection
becomes useful again. That's why I had to use "--speed-time 60" in the
curl command above; curl has a default idle timeout of 30 seconds, which
would cause it to give up just as a new proxy was becoming available.

I think we can ultimately do a lot better, and make better use of the
available proxy capacity. I'm thinking of "striping" packets across
multiple snowflake proxies simultaneously. This could be done in a
round-robin fashion or in a more sophisticated way (weighted by measured
per-proxy bandwidth, for example). That way, when a proxy dies, any
packets sent to it would be detected as lost (unacknowledged) by the KCP
layer, and retransmitted over a different proxy, much quicker than the
30-second timeout. The way to do this would be to replace
RedialPacketConn—which uses once connection at a time—with a
MultiplexingPacketConn, which manages a set of currently live
connections and uses all of them. I don't think it would require any
changes on the server.

But the situation in the turbotunnel branch is better than the status
quo, even without multiplexing, for two reasons. First, the connection
actually *can* recover after 30 seconds. Second, the smux layer sends
keepalives, which means that you won't discard a proxy merely because
you're temporarily idle, but only when it really stops working.

== Notes ==

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dcf/snowflake.git/commit/?h=turbotunnel&id=f6ddbc2b40b72f965d047f6f79237e563041d302
I added go.mod and go.sum files to the repo. I did this because smux
(https://github.com/xtaci/smux) has a v2 protocol that is incompatible
with the v1 protocol, and I don't know how to enforce the use of v2 in
the build other than by activating Go modules and specifying a version
in go.mod.