[anti-censorship-team] Questions for the SymTCP paper

Dave Levin dml at cs.umd.edu
Sun Apr 12 13:24:39 UTC 2020

Hi from the Geneva team,

Geneva is a genetic algorithm that we have trained to find ways to circumvent censorship through packet manipulation. Similar in outcome to SymTCP, but without requiring a model of TCP, and more easily applicable to new protocols. Within about an hour of gaining access to a box in Kazakhstan last summer, Geneva found ways to circumvent its new MitM HTTPS censorship.

We have some server-side packet-manipulation strategies that require no client-side modifications whatsoever. Several of them do not require root (like changing MSS). We also have client-side strategies that do not require root (like TCP segmentation, which was once thought to be no longer possible in China, but Geneva appears to have discovered bugs in the GFW).

Happy to discuss possibilities of application, or to train Geneva for you — we just need access to a box and application that are experiencing censorship. We tried training against active probing in China a little over a year ago but were unable to trigger it.

You can read more about Geneva at censorship.ai

Best,
Dave