[anti-censorship-alerts] [FIRING:1] Bridges down

meskio meskio at torproject.org
Thu Mar 9 10:34:25 UTC 2023

Quoting Roger Dingledine (2023-03-08 23:25:49)
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 07:27:56PM +0100, meskio wrote:
> > bridgestrap is recovering, now it is claiming that 85% of functional bridges. I
> > don't know what was the source of the problem, maybe we had some network issues
> > in polyanthum?
>
> There were overload issues around that time on the metal that runs
> various VMs like check.tpo and bridges.tpo.
>
> So, it would seem that bridgestrap has some bugs where if the network
> goes away, or if the disk or cpu becomes too loaded and things stall,
> it calls a lot of bridges down.
>
> How to make things more robust? Hm. One answer might be running two
> bridgestraps in different places and ignoring one if it says a lot of
> bridges went down but the other doesn't agree.
>
> I was originally thinking to have a handful of bridges that we *know*
> are usually mostly up, like the built-in bridges, and if all of those
> are suddenly down, we stop believing bridgestrap's answer. But then
> we end up in the situation where all we know is that we don't know.
>
> I guess a third idea would be to ignore it since it doesn't happen *that*
> often (though it seems to happen more often in our current age of DDoS
> attacks).
>
> Hopefully there are better ideas out there and how to best handle
> or tolerate or work around an overload on the underlying bridgestrap
> server. :)

rdsys does already ignore bridgestrap resutls if the percentage of functional
bridges is lower than 50% (and this is when this alert is raised), in that
situation rdsys does distribute all bridges independently if bridgestrap says
that they are functional or not. I think this is good enough for now, as you say
it doesn't happen so often and we've being discussing if bridgestrap will be
replaced by onbasca or arti-based something.

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/