[anti-censorship-alerts] [FIRING:1] Snowflake clients denied

Cecylia Bocovich cohosh at torproject.org
Tue Nov 2 15:04:47 UTC 2021

Looking at our broker metrics, I don't see anything obviously wrong
here. It looks like our pool of unrestricted proxies is being
overwhelmed by client polls. Although it does look like our unrestricted
capacity did drop around the 25th (when we were originally having issues
with the NAT probe service and it hasn't recovered in the same way that
the restricted capacity did.

One reason for this might be that standalone snowflake proxies only
perform the NAT check on startup and not every 24 hours like the
web-based proxies do. So instead of recovering within 24 hours, they
will wait until restart to recover. I created an issue for this:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40075

We might also be having issues with the NAT probe service failing to
provide correct or definitive answers for unrestricted proxies. I'll
defer to the existing issue for work on this:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/pluggable-transports/snowflake/-/issues/40071

Cecylia