[ux] Orbot design

Sara Sinclair Brody scout at simplysecure.org
Thu Mar 17 20:28:47 UTC 2016

Yes! The Orbot onion is reminiscent of Material Design [1], the visual
design "language" – or guidelines – for the latest versions of Android (as
well as Google web products).

I don't know who designed the logo (does anyone on the list know a good way
to find out?), but I think they did a good job. I haven't seen any data on
the subject, but I suspect that the logo alone may make potential users who
are familiar with Android feel like Orbot is more trustworthy than VPNs
whose icons stray far from the Android visual design language. The logo
makes it feel more connected to the platform, more professional, and – as
you say – like people put some serious thought into designing it.

Redesigning the main Tor Project logo didn't really bubble up in the list
of priorities for the first phase of the UX Style Guide, but it's
definitely something the community could explore for future versions.

:)
Scout

[1] https://www.google.com/design/spec/style/icons.html#icons-product-icons