[ux] Creative brief for the style guide

Philip Lammert mail at phlammert.de
Sat Apr 23 08:23:51 UTC 2016

Hi!

I didn’t forget the last two IRC meetings. I was just busy and I
couldn’t join. I read the chats afterwards and I thought the staff’s
input regarding the open questions from the draft of the creative brief
was very useful. So, I personally think it’s really too bad we break
down the brief to a basic logo color typography thing. It’s good to have
that as a starting point for the next design guide step, but I have my
concerns it is useful for other purposes. We miss a chance here. It’s
good that people might start designing new stuff conscious of design
referring to the new style guide, but these few rules don’t make a
coherent brand. It still might end up in results so diverse you’d hardly
find a unity, a consistent tone, in.

I think the quality and the practicability of a new style guide would be
more confirmed if proved by examples such as slides, business cards,
letterheads or websites. The basic style guide might be top priority,
but I still doubt its value if it is isolated. But I am not aware of
proposals for OTF. Maybe they are fast approving and don’t mind little
slices. Simply Secure will have experience values. What are their
conditions? Do you think they accept our first step as part of a bigger
usability thing? Will we get better input by the staff for further
design applications if we go on now with that basic style guide? And did
you understand Isabela’s (David F.’s) launcher proposal to be more
urgent than stationery?

Best regards
Philip