[tor-talk] Gmail locking Tor users out

blobby at openmailbox.org blobby at openmailbox.org
Tue Mar 1 15:36:43 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-26 23:28, Coyo wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 13:57:55 -0800
> AMuse <tor-amuse at foofus.com> wrote:
>
>> You can also use IMAP with GMail over TOR.
>
> I was just about to suggest that.
>
> I think only the web interface kicks Tor users out. I always use gmail
> through IMAP (for PGP mail cryptography), and i've never had a problem.
>
> You don't need any Javascript either. No web, no need for NoScript and
> Adblock Plus.
>
> I'd imagine it's only a matter of time before Google begins somehow
> embedding advertisements in their IMAP interface, like Yahoo does, but
> they haven't done it yet, and might not for some time.

You mean using it with Thunderbird or equivalent and IMAP?

Some months ago I tried using TorBirdy via Thunderbird and constantly
received errors that my Gmail was being accessed by unknown users (the
Tor IPs). After a while I could no longer receive mail and had to
manually login to verify all was decent. And this was at my account at
which I had no overt desire for anonymity. Is the IMAP suggestion going
to be any better and if so why?