[tor-talk] Day of Action: Is the FBI targeting YOU??

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Jun 23 18:49:44 UTC 2016

On 6/21/2016 11:58 AM, Kate Krauss wrote:
> Greetings, Tor Talkers!
>
> The US Department of Justice is trying to institute new rules that would
> let the FBI hack computers that use Tor and other
> privacy-protecting technologies--all over the world.
>
> EFF and Tor are asking you to sign a petition or (if you are a US person
> in the US) send a note to a member of Congress to stop this.
>
> For background, check out our blog post:
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/day-action-stop-changes-rule-41
>
> TO TAKE ACTION---> go to torproject.org or stopglobalwarrants.org
>
> Judges would still need a warrant, but under the new rules, those
> warrants could apply to thousands more people--and computers and phones
> anywhere are vulnerable if they use privacy-protecting technology like
> Tor or a VPN.
>
> The rules are an amendment to Rule 41 of the US Federal Rules of
> Criminal Procedure (rules for US judges). They will go into effect on
> December 1, unless we stop them. They would greatly empower US law
> enforcement to snoop into people's computers -- making sweeping changes
> to US policy through a technicality--without Congressional oversight.
> Picture the abuses against journalists, members of Congress, activists,
> or everyday citizens that could occur under these new rules if the DOJ
> (and FBI) get their way.
>
> EFF and Tor have partnered to launch this Day of Action designed to
> raise the profile of this critical issue.
>
> Please sign the petition or email a member of Congress using the banner
> at TorProject.org or the campaign's website: NoGlobalWarrants.org--but
> remember that the new rules will apply to computers and phones all over
> the world--so everyone's voice is critical, no matter where you live.
>
> US Senator Ron Wyden is leading a bipartisan effort to defeat the rules
> with a bill called the "Stop Mass Hacking Act" (#SMHAct)--so that's a
> good hashtag for Twitter.
>
> Spread the word! Forward this email! Tweet out the news! Protect the
> right to privacy!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Katie
> @TorProject
If we sign this, will black sedans w/ dark windows park outside our
homes?  Will records of our bank accounts or financial holdings suddenly
disappear? :) 8-(

Not that LEAs or pro Big Brother politicians (world wide) care, but is
there any difference in mass surveillance of electronic surveillance w/o
probably cause, and *mass* listening to citizens in their homes w/o
probable cause, using powerful microphones?  They could mount unmanned,
directional listening devices on utility poles (where exist), or make
new TVs, light fixtures, etc., w/ hidden cameras / microphones & listen
to as many as they want "just to be safe."

There's literally no end once any countries start violating their
constitutions, which was & is constitutional experts' concern over mass
monitoring & logging of internet, email, private voice communications.
People "blame" the NSA & other 3 letter orgs, but w/o any nation's
political system's approval of funds, these agencies couldn't exist or
do what they're doing.  Many can understand them wanting to decrypt or
de-anonymize devices of known criminals' or prime suspects; then
prosecute.  But not gather intel on everyone just because they can.
Some on this list probably never completely read Orwell's __1984__
(futuristic when I 1st read it).  They'd be surprised at its many almost
identical similarities to what has transpired.

So really, in democratic / free election countries, it's a majority of
officials elected to "do the will of the people" that are allowing these
agencies behavior.
Remember?  The US & other countries' legislative & judicial branches
met, discussed & several decided what was being done was
unconstitutional & in some cases, considered unnecessary. Yet
legislative funding for the projects was never stopped.