[tor-talk] [OT[ New web-cookie policies on internet

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Fri May 30 07:11:55 UTC 2014

* on the Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:40:24PM -0400, Michael Wolf wrote:

>> Anyone else noticing slashdot, google, and a few
>> other big ones i can't recall, now throwing annoying
>> popups with 'hey, we're using cookies, click to agree
>> to this' ? What new legal groupthink bs is behind this?
>
> It has to do with some law in the EU[1] that apparently isn't
> enforced[2] (at least in the UK).  It is actually a few years old.

Myself and a few other people have been slowly building an Adblock
filter list to remove these cookie warnings from sites for about 2
years now:

https://github.com/r4vi/block-the-eu-cookie-shit-list

I'm not the lead developer, I just submit the occasional rule.
Anyone wishing to use the list or contribute more rules is more
than welcome.

They're especially annoying when they use a cookie to remember
your cookie preferences, because those of us who know what we're
doing don't allow cookies to persist for long, so end up seeing
the warning every time we visit a site (unless we're using the
above filter list in Adblock of course).

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F