[tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Jul 2 16:36:23 UTC 2014

On 7/2/2014 11:10 AM, Michael O Holstein wrote:
>> That is nonsense. Why not arrest the owners of a stainless steel blade
>> factory, because some people stab other people with those blades.
> Okay .. try giving knives away anonymously out of the back of your garage and let us know how you make out.
>
> tl;dr .. don't tell the world to use TOR for hosting kiddie porn while also running an exit node.
>
> https://rdns.im/part-15

Except, comparing apples to apples, what typical Tor operators do is no
different than what ISPs do.
Comparing handing out weapons to passing internet traffic through
servers - while having no knowledge of its content, is an apples to
oranges comparison.

Except that Tor operators (or any others like them) are "little guys"
that a lot of LEAs don't like.
To be fair in applying the law, Austrian courts would *have to convict*
the Austrian equivalent of say, AT&T (ISP), if they were EVER found to
have unknowingly transmitted illegal material through their servers.

Of course every huge ISP has transmitted illegal / stolen material, or
plans to commit crimes through their servers - but not w/ their
knowledge or blessing.
I've never heard of a single ISP being indicted, much less convicted
over a case like this.