[tor-talk] TorBirdy doesn't work with Gmail?

Mike Hearn hearn at google.com
Wed Oct 10 11:47:14 UTC 2012

Hello,

I work for Google as TL of the account security system that is blocking
your access.

Access to Google accounts via Tor (or any anonymizing proxy service) is not
allowed unless you have established a track record of using those services
beforehand. You have several ways to do that:

1) With Tor active, log in via the web and answer a security quiz, if any
is presented. You may need to receive a code on your phone. If you don't
have a phone number on the account the access may be denied.

2) Log in via the web without Tor, then activate Tor and log in again
WITHOUT clearing cookies. The GAPS cookie on your browser is a large random
number that acts as a second factor and will whitelist your access.

Once we see that your account has a track record of being successfully
accessed via Tor the security checks are relaxed and you should be able to
use TorBirdy.

Hope that helps,

Mike Hearn
Google account security team