[tor-talk] Restarting Firefox

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Apr 16 18:28:01 UTC 2012

On 4/16/2012 12:58 PM, AK wrote:
> I think this should work:
>
> 1) Remove the lines:
>
> BrowserDirectory=.
> BrowserExecutable=firefox
>
> from Data/Vidalia/vidalia.conf
>
> 2) Add the line
>
> SocksPort 9050
>
> to Data/Tor/torrc
>
> 3)./App/Firefox/firefox -P no-remote
>
> and create and run a new profile with Data/profile as the directory
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall<joehall at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Andrew Lewman<andrew at torproject.is>
>> wrote:
>>> For some reason on linux, when closing firefox, it doesn't kill
>>> vidalia. On osx and windows, closing firefox correctly closes vidalia.
>> Just a correction: On OS X 10.6.8 Vidalia remains open when I quite
>> the TBB FireFox. best, Joe

Thanks for the hack to try & run Tor / Vidalia w/o keeping Tor browser
open.  Don't know in it'll work for Win, but may try it.

Note:  this subject of being able to close the browser from TBB & not
automatically close Tor, was discussed at length a few months ago, on
the list.  Mike Perry weighed in & seemed to think was a good idea, but
haven't seen anything mentioned since.  I think a great many users would
have a need to keep Tor running in background, but don't want to
constantly have the browser running (or don't have enough memory, want
to clear the browser, etc.).

What do others think about an option to close the browser w/o
automatically closing Tor / Vidalia, so some apps & other uses could
still run under Tor?  They've stressed that the "safest" thing for most
users now is to * use the TBB, * but that's locked users into always
having the browser open.