[tor-talk] Freedom Hosting admin revealed by Anonymous - Tor finally cracked?

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Thu Nov 3 00:12:38 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 05:54 PM, Gozu-san wrote:

> Is it really possible that over 100 fools would have downloaded a
> purported Tor security update from Hard Candy in one day?  In the middle
> of an attack by OpDarknet?  Seriously?

Mozilla stats https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/statistics/addon/2275
seem to suggest that there were 3000 Torbutton downloads and 171000
active Torbutton users on a typical day (earlier in the year before it
was removed).

190 users falling for some professional social engineering and
downloading a signed code update hosted on a compromised web server
seems realistic to me. I'd guess at an estimate of the overall site
popularity, probably fewer than 2000 regular visitors.

- Marsh