Why does Gmail claim Tor IPs are located in one country when blutmagie.de claims they are located in a different country?

Matthew pumpkin at cotse.net
Wed Aug 18 15:59:40 UTC 2010

  Hello,

I don't understand this.

I go to http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ and have a look at the exit node
"gigatux" called emohawk2.gigatux.com and located at 78.129.201.189.

This appears to be located in the UK according to blutmagie.de.

When I go to www.ip2location.com it tells me:

IP Address 	: 	78.129.201.189

Location 	: 	UNITED KINGDOM,

Latitude / Longitude 	: 	54.15 LATITUDE, -4.473 LONGITUDE

Connecting through 	: 	RAPIDSWITCH LTD

However, when I log into Gmail and click the "details" button which
provides me with the "Activity Information" I am informed that:

This computer is using IP address 78.129.201.189. (United States (MA)

This is not the first time I have seen Gmail (Google Mail) claim an exit
node is from a location which exit node websites (like blutmagie.de)
disagree.  Why in this case, for example, is Gmail claiming the exit node
IP is in the USA rather than the UK?

Thanks!