light weight proxy

Jon McLachlan mcla0181 at umn.edu
Fri Jun 20 17:46:24 UTC 2008

Hey,

  I am seeking the most light weight proxy to use with Tor, and I am
curious if anyone knows of something better than the following:  I am
familiar with 2 proxy services that have 4a-socks forward abilities:
privoxy and polipo.  Neither are what I would consider very "light
weight," as I'll be running Tor + python scripts + forward/proxy
services in an virtual machine environment.  I know socat is very light
weight in comparison.  Socat would be ideal, but it has the disadvantage
of requiring both (1) the local Tor connection information and (2) the
remote host connection information on the command line at startup.  Now
(1) is not a problem, but (2) implies that a new instance of socat must
be fired up for every new stream to a new endpoint outside of Tor.  It
would be ideal to have socat parse out the ip:port of the remote host
for (2) just as a typical proxy does, but short from editing socat's
source code, I am not sure if this is a possibility.

  Has anyone else run into problems or issues like this that might be
willing to nudge me towards a more appropriate approach? :)

Many Thanks,
~Jon