[tor-relays] Worse throughput with 0.4.8.x, on a slow CPU

Jeff Blum jeff at mulb.us
Wed Jan 3 03:55:50 UTC 2024

> On 12/13/23 06:15, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>>
>> On the older version it gets about 80+80 Mbit total in+out. On the
>> new one the
>> average is at most 45+45 Mbit. There are frequent periods where the
>> bandwidth
>> drops to 5-10 Mbit for 3-5 seconds, while all Tor processes continue
>> to use
>> 100% of both CPUs, then gradually climbs back up.
>>
>> Does anyone notice anything similar?

Hi Roman,

Yes, I am seeing something similar on 0.4.8.9 (and potentially earlier
versions as well, not 100% sure when it started). I upgraded to 0.4.8.10
today hoping it would go away, but I'm seeing it again. Watching in nyx
(screenshot of bandwidth graph attached), reliably every ~30 seconds, I
see the bandwidth briefly plummet and the tor process CPU spike. Guard
relay running in docker under ubuntu server on a Ryzen 3600 machine with
32GB RAM. Note that when the relay restarted after the upgrade today, it
didn't do this for a while (maybe an hour or so? wasn't watching it the
whole time), but then started glitching every 30s. Once it starts it
does this every ~30 seconds forever. Relay has been running like this
for weeks, maybe months.

best,

-jeff