[tor-relays] R: Re: Request for Feedback on Relay Node Update Management

Alessandro Greco alessandro.greco.1 at protonmail.com
Thu Apr 4 13:39:22 UTC 2024

I made the changes you recommended and also added/edited these parameters in the torrc configuration file:
- RunAsDaemon 1
- RelayBandwidthRate 10 MB
- RelayBandwidthBurst 20 MB

But in spite of that I did not solve the problem.

I monitored via nyx what was happening on service reboot and noticed that it detects the tor control port closed. Regarding this setting in the torrc file I wrote.

- ControlPort 9051
- CookieAuthentication 1

And trying to run nmap to see if port 9051 is open it shows me open in LISTENING mode.

To make what I tried to report in this email clearer I have uploaded a 15-second video[1] that captures the exact moment when the shutdown occurs where you can see that at first port 9051 is working properly while at some point it seems to shut down automatically.

It's possible that the Tor service never ceases to function, but for some strange reason, the port 9051 stops functioning, preventing the control of Tor itself. As a result, it may appear that Tor has restarted, when in fact the uptime simply resets because the port 9051 is unreachable for a certain period of time.

[1] https://vimeo.com/930658793