[tor-relays] Metrics

telekobold torproject-ml at telekobold.de
Wed Sep 6 19:11:02 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 06.09.23 09:25, gus wrote:

> Have you tried to connect to your own bridge and see if it works?
> Here is how you build your obfs4 bridge line (note: it's your bridge
> fingerprint and not your hashed bridge fingerprint):
> https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/bridge/post-install/

there seems to be a mismatch between the description linked above and
the Tor browser UI to manually add a Tor bridge: If one starts the Tor
browser, click on "Configure Tor connections" and then on "Add a Bridge
Manually" (seems to be the only possibility to test your own Bridge
directly in the Tor browser), there is only the option to provide the
bridge's IP address and the obfs4 port, but not, as mentioned in the
description linked above the fingerprint and the obfs4 certificate. When
I try to add the fingerprint and the obfs4 certificate of my bridges, no
connection is established.

So, where is the advantage on additionally providing the fingerprint and
the obfs4 certificate when connecting to Tor (I can imagine that it has
something to do with authenticity)? And how can one do that using the
Tor software respectively the Tor browser bundle?

Kind regards
telekobold