[tor-relays] Discuss. Why not split donations to Tor relay owners?

gus gus at torproject.org
Thu Oct 26 11:34:41 UTC 2023

Hello,

I wrote this advisory:

>There is currently no concrete evidence to confirm that the funds
>deposited in this wallet will indeed be redirected to the relays.

And your first message to the reiya guy was:

>Me: <informing them that i haven’t received a payout for the
>last two months>

-*-

If you're interested on building a project to reward relay operators,
please write a proposal and follow this process:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/policies/-/blob/master/001-community-relay-operator-process.md

New proposals are welcome for discussion. However, sharing a project or
wallet saying 'donate to my wallet and I will give back to relays
operators' will be repelled. If the project or person is coming with
good intentions, they will understand our reasons to push back.

Important to note that there were other projects like that in the past
such as oniontip (https://github.com/DonnchaC/oniontip/).
And there were some great discussions on *how* to reward relay
operators:
https://blog.torproject.org/tor-incentives-research-roundup-goldstar-par-braids-lira-tears-and-torcoin/

Hope this can clarify your questions.

cheers,