[tor-relays] PSA: Exit nodes on 0.4.7.x might see less traffic

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Oct 17 11:12:22 UTC 2023

Hello everyone!

As you might have noticed, Tor Browser 13 got released last week[1]
which ships for the first time a Tor 0.4.8.x version (0.4.8.7) to our
stable Tor Browser users. One of the main features in the 0.4.8.x series
is Conflux, which allows traffic-splitting to improve Tor performance.[2]

Given that we assume Tor Browser users are a large fraction of our
overall Tor users and 0.4.8.7 deployed by Tor Browser results in
pre-built Conflux circuits, there is a chance that exit nodes on 0.4.7.x
might see less traffic over time. An easy way to avoid or fix that
problem is an upgrade to the 0.4.8.x series.

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-130/
[2]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/288c5134ddb737e321cf352a9c80bbe595812bce/proposals/329-traffic-splitting.txt