[tor-relays] Proposal: Restrict ContactInfo to Mandatory Email Address

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Wed Nov 1 17:41:48 UTC 2023

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:54:37 +0000
Georg Koppen <gk at torproject.org> allegedly wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> As indicated in our bug tracker a while ago[1] we have some strong
> incentives to redo our ContactInfo field. I've collected all the
> different use cases and combined them in a single proposal,
> discussing some potential concerns and future work we could get built
> upon it.

[ some deletia ]

> We intend to solve that problem by deploying an email verification
> service: relays without a verified `ContactInfo` value won't be
> allowed on the network.

I assume that the verification system will allow for cases where
operators use email aliases in the contact info field (i.e. mail
addresses of the form "tor at domain.org" rather than the /real/ address
"operator.name at domain.org"). If this is not the case and replies must
come from the advertised address then this proposal could be problematic
for some.

Mick